The boys had a week to do the homework and I had a high success rate, only 1 boy didn't manage to complete the work - this meant we had a fair view of the attitudes of students in the class. The next theory lesson after the homework was a reflection session. With google forms it allows you to look at the submitted data in a group of graphs. I put the results up on the whiteboard and we discussed them as a class.
Each graph ignited quite a bit of excitement and discussion in the class, a pattern was developing with positive behaviour and negative behaviour. We all talked about ways we could help others demonstrate social responsibility, and how we could use self management to make sure we were acting in a socially responsible way. The responses were anonymous which really helped in the boys being honest about who was good and who wasn't!
We also used a modified version of Hellison's social responsibility model to check what level the boys were working at. The boys who were rated by others to be 'socially responsible' felt really good about themselves, and have taken more of a leadership role since - as their confidence has increased. The boys who were deemed to be socially irresponsible had a bit of chat with me after the lesson......! Since that they have been more aware of the way that they are behaving and the impact it has on the other students.
Overall this was a really successful activity. Not only did it meet the requirements of the NCEA standard by allowing the boys to reflect on their own social responsibility, but it was also a reality check for some of the students in the class. I am planning on trying this with some of my junior classes later in the year when the 'honeymoon' period is over!